About Baldwin

Programmer, Designer, Producer, Ex-Soldier. And now website manager. Man, this is turning out tougher than I had thought...

What I Do

Alrighty, writing here so as not to bother Kickstarter.

So this week’s progress mostly involved more work with the research pages, which I hadn’t anticipated.  Had to get additional artwork made for it, as well as starting to create the “real time” framework of the game.  For instance, need the ability to track passed time as well as pause and unpause said time, just so I can track how long a research topic has been researched.  I can already see this will be a massive balancing issue, as well as some design will be necessary to keep the player engaged, and not simply turn on the game and walk away as money accumulates/research accumulates, as is a common problem with Kairosoft games.  They often use a limited overall game time as their choke, but I’d rather avoid that rather artificial/overly done method.  Perhaps something more positive, such as limited time missions or a level of interactive reward on the map.  (Tapping hot spots or somesuch that rewards the player.)  We shall see.

But technology reads in, shows up properly, can start research, has the data structure in the game to work properly.  The next step is the output:  once a technology is researched, what does it DO?  More behinds-the-scene programming, here I come….

Plodding ahead

Sometimes the updates are neither world shaking nor glamorous.

Small changes on manipulating the research page.  Making sure the “more info” button for technologies disappears when proper, and the research topic buttons disappear/reappear in relation to their discovery, shift properly, and format their text correctly.

Alrighty, there might be fewer updates as I get into the more technical implementation side which is just GUI changes and/or behind the scenes changes, unless requested otherwise.  We shall see.

Also, massive time setting up Kickstarter page.  More that we shall see.

Work!

Been working on getting Kickstarter up lately; as business admin, PR, designer and programmer sometimes things get scattered.  Had to film and edit together a video, learn how to use iMovie, put together a few more pictures, and edit the music so that it would fit.  I’m getting tired of being a jack of all trades, I’d rather just be programming and designing!  But soon enough.  Also, Angry Cat Games, LLC is live, so this baby has a home. :)

Sloggin’ ahead

Getting the bare bones for all systems in for rapid prototyping, will balance and polish later.

For now, I’ve set up the research panel, systems to read in the tech tree, the manipulation of the research table, and all things research related.  Not exciting to list down, but all part of the grand scheme of things.

Update

Since it’s been a while:

Implemented formations:  soldiers will start in the order and positions you chose for them.

Implementing Player Data screen : Screen showing how many missions have been run, total kills, etc, etc.

Taking it a bit easy after making the mad combat rush last week.  With basic combat done, a lot more design work is coming up, as well as GUI implementation.  (Graphical User Interface, or menus)

Whew! Formations

5 hours of straight, hard working programming, and the fundamentals of the Formation system are in game.  The player can now choose what formation their soldiers will deploy in.  The soldiers will be in that RELATIVE formation, but they still might be a bit off depending on their intelligence, experience, skill in drill and ceremonies…

It adds an interesting twist to the pre-combat strategy, as well as psychology and the various skills.  Although I still need to implement choosing which EXACT soldier goes into which exact slot.  Always more to do…

Welcome, meet the Ghost…

Having somewhat implemented the majority of basic combat (Made rockets fire the correct way regardless of facing, rockets now point towards the target during flight, smaller explosion for rockets, future expansion for grenade blast sizes, etc), I decided to take a break and implement one of the non-standard enemies. Today’s enemy, as has been hinted at before:  the Ghost.

?

More nimble, aggressive, and better trained than your average enemy trooper, Ghosts are also never seen without their scout rifle.  Ghosts are faster moving and tougher than a normal trooper, the elite shadow arm of the enemy army.  Although never seen in large groups, a single Ghost is enough to turn the tide of a closely fought battle.  Allied troops are recommended to avoid Ghosts until they’ve gained enough experience or have numbers on their side.  More intelligence will be forwarded as it becomes available.

 

Burnt out

Whew!  Was working on a couple stubborn bugs which gave me new insight into Unity…

Can’t even remember exactly what else I did today.

I think I implemented flipping sprites when they’re headed different directions.

But also implemented Heavy weapons, which means rocket launchers right now.  Rockets have to be specially modified so they’re effective against tanks and power armor.

Basically, if a rocket hits tank or power armor, there’s no explosion, but it does massive damage.

Sounds simple, but having it detect if it “hit”, then aborting the standard explosion if it did, but continuing if it didn’t was a bit tough.

Then there was an error with weapon swapping code.  I’ll spare you the details, but it came down to the debugger behaving differently if you watched it than if you didn’t.

A lot of progress today though.